logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

LordYabo
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 22, 2014 10:22:09 PM(UTC)
LordYabo

Groups: Registered, Administrators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

So I'm working with an artist to create some dark elf warriors.  I thought it would be cool/interesting if they were female.  The artist asked for reference material, so I searched the internets.

I can't find a single realistic fantasy warrior woman on the internet to send him!
I'm not making a peep show here, I'm trying to make a game!

So, I then looked for a real world athletic woman.  Once I found one, I thought it would be interesting to see the contrast between the all to common unrealistic athlete and the real one.  

I've drawn lines at 4 key points:
1. The chin -- notice that the heads are the same size.  So far so good
2. This is the nipple line -- About 6" off to start with, but also gravity defying.  
3. This is my best estimate for where the belly button is -- again, about 6" off which makes it clear the fantasy woman has a compressed torso, complete.
4.  The knuckle line -- see, their arms are the same length, proving this is a fair comparison

My rant is not that there are "artistically exaggerated" warrior women on the internet.  My rant is that there are so many, for so many years, that artists don't even know how to draw a realistic woman when you ask them too!

As gamers and artists we are forgetting what a woman looks like!

How does this affect our wives, daughters, and nieces?  

Edited by user Saturday, March 22, 2014 10:22:54 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Elendae
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 12, 2014 7:07:12 AM(UTC)
Elendae

Groups: Registered
United States

Thank you for actually addressing the topic of realistic and modest female characters. It really does get irritating to have to constantly change your armor to be decent, and a lot of games don't even give you that option. Clothing doesn't have to be overly modest, but the really short skirts and low tops are annoying. To provide an example, your sample female mage was fine. The starting light armor for a human female in Guild Wars 2 is not.

Edited by user Tuesday, August 12, 2014 7:13:07 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

BeeEater2
#3 Posted : Friday, October 10, 2014 1:41:08 PM(UTC)
BeeEater2

Groups: Registered
United Kingdom

I don't mind stylization/idealistic representation/archetypal eg amazon et al.

But I really dislike intensely the baby-face and head features (ie youth quality of attractiveness) in the female cartoon style as per the above on the left. This is my number one dislike. I'd suggest you could change the face to look more mature and look more emotional eg hardened or embittened by experience and the grind of life eg lines in the face, more empathy for the person inside. So go for a more mature head/face imo: Someone with character and experience written into their face which is essential feature and portal of communication.

The bolt-on boobs are shocking also: very plastic.

In terms of ensuring the character is martial, I think stronger thighs is very important which I think you can notice a difference between the undefined curve of the cartoon vs the human female athlete who shows bigger muscle mass and possibly the merest of highlights of tendon/ligament too.